Sunday, July 14, 2013

Journeys end

All good things must come to an end, somebody famous once said. And it's true. Somewhere around So. Dakota, it really hit both of us. Time to be home. Don did a marathon day of 703 miles. Wyoming, thru Utah and across Nevada to Reno. After we left Deadwood, I said, Okay Don, nothi g else on the agenda, just straight home. I won't ask you to stop. That was before Independence Rock and passing the GreatSalt Lake. I saw the visitors center and did a bit of groveling. I've passed by before but never stopped. Please Don, just fora few minutes so I can just wade a little. Also Jr wanted to go. So he stopped. What a waste of time. It was like wading in a septic tank.  Dead birds all over the place and the smell was horrible. There was a layer of slime over a hard corrugated base. I didn't go very far. I turned around after about 8 feet and said, I don' care what Jr wants, I'm getting out. Then I couldn't put my shoes on because of the black slime. Luckily Cmor has an outdoor shower and Don hosed me off. Then on to Reno to camp in the same place our journey began. Our last stop before home was Michael's shop to give him hugs and show him that Uncle Don still liked his new hairstyle. When we got to our
Driveway, there were welcome home signs and a bunch of welcome home balloons. 95 days and 15,700 miles later we were home. Don couldn't wait until the next morning to wash Cmor. He did it several times on the trip but we brought home our share of bug body parts. It's a big job so it was a good thing he had help. Amazingly, we never felt crowded and got into routines when things had to be done. One of my favorite memories will be on the side of the road in Nevada somewhere, Don realized he hadn't taken his pills and pulled off the highway. I got up to get a snack and the music from Dolly Parton's I will always love you was playing. Don grabbed me and we danced there in Cmor on the side of the road. Sorry, ladies, there is only one like him and he is mine. What a great way to end our trip. Thank you to all that made our trip so much fun and for the words that kept us from being homesick. If any of you find yourself with blog withdrawal symptoms we have about 10,000 pictures we can share. Hugs and love and farewell from Don, Donna, Junior and Cmor

No comments:

Post a Comment