Monday, April 22, 2013

Leaving Iowa

Before I start what seems to be my favorite game, called catch up, I have to thank John and Jackie for their incredible hospitality..I told them when they run out of all the money they took from Ccalifornia, they can open a B and B, Or in their case a J and  J. In fact if any of you reading this are passing thru Glenwood, let me know and I'll give you their address.They are great tour guides.,great cooks, know the best places to eat and play a great game of Mexican Train.

Okay, on the road again. Sometimes my pictures are out of order because I use two cameras and I'm lucky I get them posted at all, went back to Omaha for more touring on our own, thanks to advice from J and J. I walked across the Missouri River on the Bob Kerry Bridge. Really beautiful curves. The cables reminded me of The Sundial Bridge in Redding. Stepped across a line,Iow, Nebraska border. Very cold and Windy. Then to Century Link Center. Art and crafts show, but I took pity on Don and skipped it.  Great sculptures in front. even one of Katy. On to the golden spike monument. 56 feet tall.  Council Bluffs way of honoring the junction of Union Pacific andCentral Pacific at the
Promontory Summit in Utah May10, 1869.
Downtown Omaha. Buffalo and birds going thru building. Then to see theFirstNational Bank Bldg. Beautiful new facade, but inside they kept part of the old facade. Jim, I know you would have taken lots of pictures.  Saws interesting charging station in Elkhorn. Small Danish town with Windmill Museum. Next to Kimballton with statue of Denmark's  Little Mermaid. Next to Winterset and the Bridges of  Madison County.We were following a strange map through back roads, most are gravel or packed dirt,when we realized we would have to cross a narrow rocky stream bed. I wasn't A very good Nagivator. We turned around and found another way thru. Most bridges were not drive able. Don didn't agree with the builders. Thought the truss boards should have been on edge. Winterset also birthplace of John Wayne.Great old City Hall.  On back road found a one room schoolhouse to showTheKahunas, Drew'sclass.Went thru Des Moines. Spent night in Adventureland, likeGreat America with rides and water park.Hugewindmills here like the Altamont.
Next stop,Gladbrook and the Matchstick Marvels. How can anyone have that much patience? Short movie about how he started and also learned to bend curves. Amazing details.
Spent the night at Maquoketa Caves State Park. Beautiful wooded Park with lots of caves, stairs to climb and even a natural bridge. Did a bit ofcavecrawling, very muddy. I almost lost my shoes several times. Don carried Junior, couldn't let him walk.Had to hose off my shoes and socks. Interesting experience in the bathroom, shower area. Mans voice talking constantly. Giving weather reports and forecasts. If any danger, ranger will go thru camp with siren, alerting you to go to a shelter or the stone bath house..
Another covered bridge in Morrison that Cmor could drive on.

No comments:

Post a Comment