Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Tax day

We spent this wonderful day doing government things and the ended with what tom would call ABM.      
Another boring museum. I wonder why tourist alway see abc's and abm's.  We started the day at Fort Riley near Junction City. We had to show our ID to get into the Fort. It is an enormous base with all the important things, including a golf course.  We went to the Custer House but of course it was not open. We did look in the windows and could see that it was pretty well funished. The buildings are really beautiful, made of the yellow limestone. Even the residences were nice. There were Lts. housed on each side of the Custer Home. Across the street were the parade grounds with horses from the Calvary units practicing. Across from that was the artillary museum. It looked like a church.. Junior enjoyed playing on the tanks.. Don found the place we would stay if we could.

Before I left home I was complaining about gaining weight on this trip. Sharon and Millie gave me great advice. Just keep finding hills and climb them. Sorry ladies, there were no hills in Kansas. But today I found one. Across the freeway from the Fort is a steep hill. On the very top is an Atomic Canon. It can shoot an 11 inch bullet (?) 20 miles. Three of these monsters were made. From the top of the hill, Cmor looked like a toy. I'm glad Jr. doesn't weigh much. We stopped at Plumlee's buffalo meat farm but it was not available for tours that day. I think lots of things don't open until Memorial Day. I also think they ae afraid the tourist will blow away.

On to Wamego and the Oz Museum. It was really interesting, even to Don. I've always enjoyed reading the Oz Books. There are a lot more stories than just the movie. It was fun seeing and reading all the behind the scenes stuff. We took lots of pictures for the kids. At one point I turned around and Don and Jr were laying on the ground. They were in front of the field of poppies that put you to sleep.  Like Alice in Wonderland, there were a lot of real life references in Baum's stories.
There was lots of Oz scrapbook paper, but I controlled myself. I know I can get it at home.
We drove over first interstate hwy project completed under provisions of Federal Aid hwy act of 1956. Ironically tthey are now repaving it. For you accuracy history fans, 2 other states also claim o be first.

Next stop, Topeka and the Capitol Building. The whole dome and stairs and other parts are surounded by scafollding. It won' be finished until 2014. We walked around the entire grounds looking for  way in. We climbed a huge section of stairs and I didn't realize I was humming until Don said " Rocky was in Philadelphia." When we got back to the beginning of our circle, we noticed a small sign, Visitor's entrance. Inside we had to go though  scanner and put everything in trays to be scanned. the guards let Jr's picture be taken. The stairs around the Rotunda are copper and marble. That wouldn't last in Calif. Someone would find  a way to steal it. Jr. went into the State library and met the librarian. The building was almost deserted at 4:00. We climbed to the top floor and only saw one other person.  Then we saw one of the guards from the entrance. When we were leaving, I realized there were lots o camera screens. I guess the guard was following the lady with the monkey.
On

No comments:

Post a Comment