Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Wright House, dogs, and golf

What a great two days. We drove from our camp in Sycamore to the Chicago Suburb of Oak Park. We went to Frank Lloyd Wrights, Home and Studio. It was incredible. We both love his architecture an almost were overwhelmed with actually being in his home and especially his studio. The man was a genius. I bought a photo pass and took way too many pictures. Our docent was really funny and made him come alive for us. We enjoyed seeing his large piano. He hated ugly things so he had the piano pushed into the wall and it hung over the stairs in the back. You had to watch your head going down. The vaulted ceilings were beautiful as was all the stained glass in ceilings and windows. We saw furniture, wallpaper, fabric and accessories he designed. There was a large copper vase/bowl in a case that is valued at $80,000.00. The light fixtures were amazing too. Originally there was no electricity when the house was built, but he knew it was coming, and planned for it in the design.
We drove around  the neighborhood to see some of his other homes. We noticed junk piled on the sidewalk in front of many homes. At first we thought it was a clean up day, until we noticed most of it was carpeting. We found out many of the homes were flooded when the river over flowed.
I brought back a catalogue and might be tempted when we get home. I think I would like some of his stencils.

Okay, that was great but today was even better. The weather yesterday was really nice so when we got back to camp, Don washed Cmor. Of course you know what that meant. Today when we woke up it was a little overcast. We went to the Golf course here in Sycamore. The back nine was still underwater. It had been 4 feet deep but was starting to go down. We decided to do the front nine. We had to walk and use a pull cart. First hole and it started raining. Don's first chance to play golf so of course we kept going. Most of you know I ride around with Don sometimes when he plays at home. This was really different. It kept raining harder and harder. I had lots of questions for him. After the first few holes we were all alone..  First question, Don look at those Geese. At Rossmore , when the Geese land in the middle of the fairway, do they start paddling? Second question, When you walk down the fairways and on the greens, do your feet always go "squish, squish? It was downhill or rather downstream from there. I got a picture of his first swing of the trip, but my favorite was of Don  
using the ball retriever thingy from Darcie to get his ball out of a sand trap.
When he swung on the next hole, I was trying to keep my camera dry and so missed the best shot of the day. He said "Did you see where my club went?" I said, "You mean your ball?" No he meant his club. His hands were so wet he lost his grip. We had to really hunt for the club. It went at least 30 yards.  When it happened again, I didn't know if my face was wet from the rain, or because I was laughing so hard, I was crying. It was so ridiculous Don was even laughing. Oh did I mention that we had to listen for a long siren, followed by three short blast. That meant lightening was coming so get off the course fast.
Don finished all nine holes. Went to the clubhouse for Coffee and Hot Chocolate. The pro came in to talk to us. He had been expecting us in a little sooner. He obviously doesn't know my husband.

We drove around DeKalb for awhile  (in the rain) and saw these great Dog status scattered around town. The half fireman, half police dog was really interesting. The one wit the apples and oranges around its neck, said in Latin, Believe that you have it, and you have it. Do I believe I have the most entertaining husband in the whole world.  Back to our camp by the lake to find from the owner that it is supposed to snow tonight. We want to go into Chicago tomorrow, but if we do we will take the train. Traffic was horrible. Putting Jr to bed and then, prayers for better weather and sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. I thought all of the things you have seen and done was amazing, but when I heard after more than two weeks dad was finally getting to play golf I was really amazed. Has it been to cold?

    ReplyDelete