Friday, June 7, 2013

Battles and house pics

Before I start tonights blog, I have a word or two for Ed. Couldn't you get your own illness? We heard from Russell today and found out I am not going to get any sympathy from the home group. Next time Ed don't choose Vertigo when I have it. Lets each do our own thing. Don't copy me. Well, I truly hope you are feeling better. I know I am.

We get so busy,before I know it I am behind again. Well such is life on the road. We spent one night on Artillery  Ridge in Pennsylvania. Got up and toured downtown Gettysburg. The center of town is really beautiful.Almost all the old buildings are still there or their duplicates. So many of them are now stores, shops , hotels or restaurants. I thought it was really interesting how the buildings were even with the sidewalks. No lawns or gardens in the front of them. We saw the Wills house where Lincoln spent the night and polished his speech. Also saw the Depot where he came in. By now we have seen every moment of Honest Abe's life except the Ford Theater. One of the houses had hundreds of bullet holes in it. They must have been terrible shots. We went to the Visitor's center for the Movie, museum and cyclorama. The paintings were wonderful. Some of the guns were really unusual. There were diagrams and models showing where each part of the 3 day battle took place. We walked around some of the battlefields, and the Cemetary. Everywhere you look are plaques, and statues and horses and generals and memorials of all kinds. The cemetary has circular strips of concrete with names or just "unknown" carved into them. There are rows and rows of numbers on blocks. After seeing the movie and seeing all the diagrams, it was very to picture the actual battles.
We drove to Ohiopyle state park in Pennsylania by way of Maryland for the night. Beautiful park with several falls we hiked to in the morning. Then on to Falling Waters. Even the waiting area was beautiful before we even left for the house.I have to say again, Frank Lloyd  Wright was a brilliant man. Almost every item in the house was designed by him and still remains there. I took so many pictures outside. No photos inside. The details were amazing. We loved the window mechanics.  When our guide asked for questions, mine was about the color of the concrete. I did not like it, but obviously Frank did. Almost everyone agreed with me, which proves why no one pays to see my house.  After lunch in Cmor, we traveled on to Kentuck Knob. Another Wright home. There was a hike to a sculpture garden
before the house tour. Anyone that wanted it, got a list of all the sculptures to try to find them. The home is owned by a Lord and his Lady. They have another home nearby that they use in the Summer when they are here from England. Mostt of the art We did not care for but some was really fun. I liked the phone booths, and Don had fun in the Vespasienne (urinal)). He also had fun with The Red Army.
That man can sure make me laugh. He and Junior are always surprising me. There were two pieces of the Berlin Wall. We both liked the interior of this home better than Falling Water. It seemed much more livable. We had taken a shuttle to the top of the Knob, but chose to walk down through the meadow to look for more sculpture. Leaving there we went to Somerset and Don almost drowned trying to get us hooked up. It poured for hours. Good lullabye music. Well thats all folks. Hugs, Donna.

No comments:

Post a Comment