Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Niagara Falls

POWER. That is the wordI would use to describe what we saw. Let me start at the beginning by sounding stupid. As we were driving towards where we thought the falls were it all seemed so flat and we weren't sure what we would see. First thing that happened was Don had to give more of Katy and Brandy's treats to the 5 dogs in the RV parked next to us. Then we walked toward what we thought was smoke or steam. Now all of you that have been here have to forgive my next statement. I was a little disappointed as we left the parking lot and I first saw the falls. You can see the picture of Don and Jr looking at Horseshoe Falls. My very first thought was, "Gee it is not as tall as it looks in pictures." Then I realized I was only seeing the very top. As we got closer my mouth was hanging open. Can any of you imagine ME speechless? I was overwhelmed. There are absolutely no words to adequately describe what we saw. You truly have to be there. The spray alone is unbelievable. When we finally were able to tear ourselves away, we went to the visitors center and got the complete ticket package. Movie, trolley, aquarium, boat ride, cave of the winds and all the other stuff we really needed. We started out with the Cave of the Winds. They handed us a small plastic bag and I wondered what it was for. Then into a big room where they asked for our shoe size. We all received sandals and put our shoes and socks in the plastic bag. From wearing sneakers everyday I have hikers tan. My feet are Snow White and I have a pretty good tan from my knees to ankles. Very attractive. We went to the elevators and down to the shoreline for a  self guided trip to the bottom of The American and Bridal Veil Falls where we received our yellow parkas. Oh my gosh, that water is powerful. We climbed to the Hurricane deck. I thought we would just be looking at the falls from the top or maybe from the boat, but this experience was amazing. We were actually able to feel the power. Everyone was laughing from the sheer joy of being there. We enjoyed all the birds along the way, especially the babies. We met an adorable little boy that fell in live with Jr and carried him up to the top of the elevator. Since he didn't want to give him back, I offered to keep the little guy, but his parents didn't like that idea. We went back to Cmor and to leave our new sandals
, and I changed into shorts. Then on to the trolley and we left Goat Island to cross the river to get to the other side of the American Falls. I didn't even know the falls were divided. We went to the observation tower first and looked down to where the boats were. The famous Maids of the Mist. We could look down and see the stairs we had climbed. Down another elevator and this time blue parkas. Got on board and of course I wanted to be on top. We went to the front and were not able to be in the front row for pictures. At first  I wondered why we needed ponchos. Another duh moment. As we got  past the American falls we old really see the stairs and hurricane deck. Then as we approached the bottom of the Horseshoe Falls, we entered the Spray and Mist. Actually those are lousy words to describe the water. Coming off the falls. We got soaked. There was so much water, we couldn't really  take pictures. We went down to the lower deck and it was a little better. What an adventure. Again everyone was laughing. I couldn't believe how close to the base of the falls we got. When we got back to shore, I decided I had to climb to the Crows nest. I was so hot, I took off the Parka. Don took a picture of me going up the stairs but there was so much water and spray, it is not very clear. It was a lot more powerful than the hurricane deck. The wind from the water was sox strong I could barely climb or see. When I got down, it was as if I had worn my clothes into the shower. Everything I had on was completely soaked through. It was like a wet t shirt, wet short contest. Luckily it was a very hot day. We went to see the  movie and then over the bridge to Luna Island and the top of Bridal Veil Falls. Everything after that was anti climatic. Back on the trolley and home to Cmor. We spent the night on Grand Island and woke at 7:00 to pouring rain. We looked at each other and said, that's it. We've had enough of this country, lets get out of here. So off we headed to Canada where I got in a slight disagreement with the crossing guard, but that is a story for tomorrow. They did let me in, so I got to use my new passport. To be continued....hugs from me.

No comments:

Post a Comment