Monday, June 3, 2013

thunder and Lightening and angels, oh my

It is 4:00 in the moning here in Maryland and I have been having problems with the web site. I use for the picures so if they are a mess, just delete them. Thunder and lightening crashing all around our little home.
It has been a very hectic few days. Started out in another beautiful camp. Went to the University of Virginia, designed by Thomas Jefferson. What a brilliant man. Incredible architect. The Rotunda and Quad were beautiful. The upperclassmen still live in the small rooms surounding the quad. The rooms were being cleaned for the end of semester so of course I had to look in them. Each room had two wardrobes, a dresser, a narrow bed and a fireplace. Inside one wardrobe was a sink and mirror and wastebasket. But what amazed me the most was the list in each room. It had the names of every student from the 1700's to the present day student that had just graduated. Can you imagine knowing every student that had been in your room? I gott goosebumps. I know that would have made me study a lot harder. Inside the rotunda, each floor had 4 oval rooms which made the center shaped like an hourglass, but I think it was more like a peanut shell. The oval rooms even had the doors shaped to fit into the walls. The woodwork was all grained by hand to look like expensive woods. The double stairways were really graceful with fireplaces partway up. In the top floor domed room, the light relected onto the floor in patterns. Jefferson wanted this Library room to be used for other occasions also so he designed the book shelves so they didn't really show from the main room.
From there we went to Mickie's Tavern. Interesting complex of buildings. Down the road to another item on the bucket list. Monticello. We were bused to the top of the hill after seeing a movie.

From the front and back of the house you could not see all the working parts. Jefferson designed the kitchens, stables, wine storage brwery and otther necessary work areas to be hidden on three sides of the main house in the area he had cut out when the house was built on the very top of the hill. There was even a very deep brick lined pit for ice. I asked Don to stand next to it for a picture and he said no. When I asked him why, he replied "When I turn my back, you might kick me in the Ice Hole."
When we were in the wine area there was a network of bell pools that Jefferson invented so wine could be sent up thought compartments in the fireplaces. I told Don not to get any ideas aboutt ringing for service. TThe brewery made me think of Sammi and Rogers Brewery and also The Phair Brewery. Y'all might get ideas for new recipes.  We visited the gardens and slavery row. Our last walk was down the long brick path to the graveyard and then we ended up walking down to the visitor center and Cmor.

Next morning is where the Angel came in. We were going to Williamsburg. I went to take  shower and had a horrible dizzy spell. I barely made itt back to Cmor and don't remember much else until the hospital. On the way, Audrey our GPS let Don down. She took us to a hospital that was no longer there. Evidenttly Don was frantic asking people for directions. He was really getting confused. It was Saturday and by then we were in an industial area. Don saw a man by his boom  (llift) truck and asked him for directions to an emergency room. When he saw how Don was acting, This Angel said,  Follow Me. He led us for 6 miles on the freeway in his large truck. I evidently had an attack of Vertigo. With Blood work and urine test and EKG and Cat Scan, at least I know I am healthy. Four hours later we were back on the Road trying to find our Good Samaritan but the yard was closed and locked. We did get the name and address of the company so we will take care of that tomorrow. I felt better and we stopped to visit Geo. Washington's birthplace and family cemetary. While there, junior met a lady that told us about Stratford Hall, just a few miles down the road. They were having a special celebration. It is the home of The Lees of Virginia. There was an orchestra on the lawn, costtumes actors and animals scattered around. There was even a small train for Junior to ride on. The engineer and Don talked for an hour and I'm sure that is not the last of him, since they exchaged cards. (Thanks Deb, do you have any idea of how many of those things your father has given out? We will prrobably have non sttop houseguests when we get home). Stratford house even had a 4 hole privy. Wasn't that friendly?
Yesterday, it was on to Quantico and the Marine Museum. Looked for Statues of The Colonel and/or Blackie but we didn't have time to look everywhere and somehow we missed them.

We are now in a campground in Maryland listening tto the rain and thunder. Well I am caughtt upp now and I think I will try to get a few hourrs sleep before thee bus comes to pick us up for Washigton D.C.  Goodnight or Good morrning all. HugsDonna

No comments:

Post a Comment