Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Amish

Good morning, We had an interesting day yesterday, although they have all been interesting. Joan, you were right. Ohio is really beautiful. We loved seeing hills and all the green. We stayed in Sugarcreek. What a friendly little town. Found more brick murals, including self portrait of the artist that painted the murals that are all over town. Also found the worlds biggest Coo Coo Clock. Music and musicians and dancing girl. Went into ABM and learned a lot about the Swiss and Amish settlers. This is the worlds largest Amish settlement. Saw lots of "Antiques" that I actually remembered  seeing. Of course I was very very young then. Or maybe I just saw pictures. I couldn't believe how loud the Alp horn was and didn't realize it was used for communication across the valleys and mountains, sometimes for 5 to 10 miles. Toured a cheese factory in Walnut Creek. Our tour guide had a great sense of humor. I loved the beard nets. It seemed strange to have horse and buggies diving along beside Cmor. I used my distance lens to take pictures because I felt like I was taking pictures in a zoo or museum. I certainly was more self conscious than they were. Finished the day at The Longaberger Homestead. The complex is huge. Many buildings and stores. Huge barn where they make baskets and you can make one yourself. I kept asking Don, how can baskets and pottery support all of this. Then I checked the prices. Question was answered. We were almost the only people there and when I talked to the people in the Welcome Center they said it gets really crowded. I felt like I was in an empty Disneyland. Drove about 20 miles down the highway to the Longaberger headquarters building. Seven Story tall basket. Started raining really hard as we went through Columbus earlier but stopped now. Looking back at the pictures, I think one of my favorites is of Don and Jr. walking down the street. Beautiful sky ended our day. Spent the night at Buck Creek State Park near edge of Springfield. Have a great day. Hugs from D, D, J and C.

No comments:

Post a Comment